On behalf of our client, Federal Way Public Schools, we are hiring for the 2021-2022 School Year
Location: Federal Way, WA
Opportunities: Sign Language Interpreter or Communication Facilitator
Skills in SEE and/or ASL
This position supports communication for a teacher of the hearing impaired using ASL, PSE, or SEE. Responsibilities include facilitating communication between the teacher and students in a classroom setting, and providing sign language services at school assemblies, staff meetings, and other special events.
include the following; This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist teachers and student during class. Ensure that students understand the teacher’s communication; repeat signing as requested. Facilitate communication of auditory responses by other students or presenter facilitating student’s understanding of group interaction.
- Communicate with teacher concerning student problems and progress. Secure teacher’s attention as necessary to indicate that a student has a question, and/or needs attention or redirection.
- Support communication at school events for student(s) who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, such as student assemblies, field trips, and special events.
- Support communication between student and teacher for daily classroom instruction.
- Responsible for determining which manual sign is appropriate for communication with a specific person or group who is Deaf/Hard of Hearing (ASL, PSE, or SEE).
- Facilitates students’ reading of signs by maintaining an appropriate dress code/neutral colors & limited jewelry.
- Facilitates student(s) reading of signs by recommending alternative seating arrangements, as appropriate.
- Support effective communication for student(s) who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing in informal conversations with students and staff, and between other students and student(s) who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing during unstructured time as necessary.
Education and Experience
- Serves as a member of the Interpreter Services team of the district; performs related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
- May support communication for student(s), parents, and teachers who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing in other classes during meetings, conferences, or testing.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalent
Two (2) years of experience communicating in sign language
Two (2) years of experience interpreting for the Deaf
Conversational sign language systems such as ASL, PSE (Contact Signing), and SEE
Demonstrated interpreting and transliterating skills (sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign).
Proficiency in using the English language
Evidence of continued training/professional studies
Maintain confidentiality and professionalism
Two (2) years college-level coursework
Recognized two (2) year sign language interpreter training program
Certification by Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) with CI/CT or Level 4 or 5 from NAD.
Certification of Interpretation and/or Certificate of Transliteration or National Interpreter Certification (NIC)
Educational interpreting experience
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Criminal background clearance
Work scheduled shift on a consistent basis
School board policies and procedures
Student and education techniques
The preceding list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary